Historic Hot Springs
In 1909 J. O. Langford took a big gamble and bought the homestead rights to a hot spring along the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo in an area that would become the eastern side of Big Bend National Park. He developed the area as a curative spring along with guest rooms, a store and Post Office. Those buildings remain in the Historic Hot Springs District. The hot springs remain a popular destination in Big Bend.
10 imagesThe warm pool at the Historic Hot Springs at Big Bend is within the foundation of J. O. Langford's bath house, developed along the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo in the early 1900's. It was popular then as now for its enjoyable curative waters.
10 imagesThe J. O. Langford homestead, store and Post Office and guest rooms remain in the Historic District of Big Bend's hot springs.
6 imagesHiking the overlook above the Historic Hot Springs gives sweeping vistas of the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo along the U.S./Mexican border. The Hot Springs are along the river on the left side in some views.
12 imagesPictographs (paintings) and petroglyphs (incised or picked) artwork is found along the limestone edges at the Historic Hot Springs of Big Bend.